Trojans crush Cougars, 2-0

Pagan Hetherington preys on the Cougars goalkeeper.  Photo by Jes Smith
Pagan Hetherington preys on the Cougars goalkeeper.
Photo by Jes Smith

Jessica Ko claws the Cougars' offense as she guards the goal. Photo by Jes Smith
Jessica Ko claws the Cougars’ offense as she guards the goal. Photo by Jes Smith

The girls varsity soccer team had a great win against Newark Memorial on Wednesday, Feb. 18 at CVHS. This 2-0 win has advanced the Trojans to the quarterfinals in NCS, which has them ecstatic.

The game started out fairly well for the Trojans with Victoria Kiani getting a goal quick into the first half. By halftime the score was still the same, 1-0, with the Trojans in the lead and tensions rising. Despite the great start, head coach Paul McCallion commented, “We struggled in the first half.”

In the second half, Jasmine Edwards got the Trojans another goal, making the score 2-0. As the second half dwindled away, the Trojans continued to play fiercely and defensively and ended up beating Newark Memorial with the same score attained towards the beginning of the second half, 2-0.

Despite the win against Newark and the Trojans undefeated title of 20 wins and 3 ties, the team remains humble and critical of itself.

“So far I’m really proud of our team for going undefeated this year. Today wasn’t our best game but we still got the win and we will definitely be working out those kinks. I’m just looking forward to NCS and hoping that we will continue on,” stated sophomore Melissa Bellamacina.

“We really picked it up and played a lot better the second half especially with passing the ball and getting in more dangerous positions to score goals,” stated McCallion.

Come support the Trojans in another game against Granada on Saturday at 5 p.m. at CVHS.