Piano improves brain functions

Ever wondered why so many parents drag their kids to piano practice every week without fail?  Even though students hate going to practice, it is actually proven that it helps their brains develop.Playing piano encompasses many techniques that involve different parts of the body, so it could most definitely improve your coordination.

This instrument can train you to feel comfortable using both sides of your brain.  Using both sides gives you the advantage of being capable in areas that those different sides of your brain control.Being able to play an instrument used to be just a source of entertainment; it was something you did in your free time.  However, this fun source of entertainment could be the key to your success.

Some feel that learning an instrument is just a waste of time.  If you really wanted to be successful, you should just devote all your time to studying, right?  Yes and no.  Studying is undoubtedly important, but reviewing material for five hours straight is not a good way to hammer knowledge into your brain.

Instead, you should take a break.  Playing piano or another instrument can not only relieve some of your stress, but can help you exercise your brain in a way other than forcing it to memorize the pages of notes that will be condensed into your test.  Taking a break refreshes your brain, and afterwards you are ready to do some more studying.  Once your mind is refreshed, the information you are trying learn would slide into your memory much more easily than you would think.
You may or may not notice, but learning an instrument like the piano can actually improve your hearing.  No, it does not make your hearing suddenly become better, but it trains your ears to hear different pitches in relation to each other.
Piano definitely improves your hand-eye coordination.  Sight reading sheet music is like learning a new language, so you can imagine how stimulating that could be for your brain.  It strengthens your eye muscles and forces you to coordinate your body parts.  Over time, your hand-eye coordination would improve greatly.  Practice makes perfect!
Piano is actually an easy instrument to learn.  It only takes a bit of practice and time, like learning most other instruments.  It is a fun way to take a break from whatever it is you are doing.  Plus, it is extremely beneficial for you and your body.  Why not give it a try?

3 thoughts on “Piano improves brain functions

• Troy Barnes

I have been looking into this for my kids to start taking piano lessons and from what I’ve read sounds good , I can;t wait for them to enjoy the experience.

• Troy Barnes

I want to get my 4 kids 3boys and 1 girl to get into this , sounds very interesting.

• Jana Jaudon

Good article, except for the second sentence. Who says that “students hate going to practice?” Mine don’t! Piano is a joy to learn, and a joy to teach! I’ve taught piano for years to hundreds of children. Maybe the author has had an unpleasant experience. If so, she should try it again with a new teacher, like myself!