CommunityNews

New career technical programs available to high school graduates

After Castro Valley students receive their high school diploma, there are many options for them to get the next level of education in order to find quality employment.CMA 3

If Castro Valley students don’t feel ready for a big university, a community college, or just want to stay near home and not have to spend a lot money, the new Career Technical Education (CTE) program at the Castro Valley Adult School is another soluble option.

“Our Career Technical Education classes are open to adults who are looking for short-term training to either enter into a new career or enhance their current skills for employment advancement,” said CTE coordinator Kerry Principato.

Students can find affordable courses and training programs such as woodworking, computer AutoCAD software, Clinical Medical Assisting, and Healthcare Administration.

The Clinical Medical Assistant program is $1,675, and the Healthcare Administration program is $1,160 for 44 classes each , but a 20 percent discount can be given if students take both. An orientation must be attended to enroll in either class.

Just because the program is more affordable than even a community college doesn’t mean the students don’t get any hands-on experience.

“Both of our Clinical Medical Assistant and Healthcare Administration programs have an optional internship program where qualified students can work in a medical office or clinic and gain real world on-the-job experience,” says Principato.

The Adult School CTE program is closely working with Chabot and Las Positas College to create more articulation agreements, so students can have seamless transitions from the programs into the community colleges. Some of their courses such as keyboarding and medical terminology can already be transferred into Las Positas with credit.

“We would like to be considered the bridge for many K12 to community college students,” says Principato.

With over 125 adults enrolling, the program is deemed successful with many students gaining employment in preferable jobs.

“The classes are wonderful and the teachers are passionate. Many students in my high school diploma and GED program have moved on to our medical classes after graduation,” said Castro Valley Adult School instructor Megan Morgan.

In regards to the Career Technical Education program being offered in the future with its current success rate, Principato thinks that it will be, “Absolutely!”