Taylor Swift’s album ‘Swiftly’ Rises to the Top

Taylor Swift is shattering molds and records with her new ultra-successful album, 1989.  The glaringly country-free album sold over 1.2 million copies in its first week, making it the first this year to reach the million mark during its debut week. The last album to do this was Swift’s album released in 2012, Red.

The album features fun dance beats and booming bass, along with synthesized drums layered with clever lyrics. While 1989 does have an overall lighter, fun vibe than previous albums, it does not lack Swift’s signature heartfelt and highly relatable lyrics.

The songs on 1989 are instantly catchy, but they still have a meaningful story behind them. This was one of Taylor Swift’s goals she set for the album back in October, during an interview with Ryan Seacrest. All I can say is mission accomplished.

The new album is also serving as an outlet to address rumors about her in the media. In the hit songs “Blank Space,” and “Shake it Off,” Swift responds to the media’s portrayal of her as a man eater and serial dater. She embraces her complicated dating history with lyrics such as “I go on too many dates, but I can’t make the them stay, at least that’s what people say,” from “Shake it Off,” and “Got a long list of ex-lovers, they’ll tell you I’m insane,” from “Blank Space.” Swift’s head-on confrontation of rumors and her reputation give 1989 an edge lacking in other albums.

Although “Shake it Off” and “Blank Space” are the two most popular tracks on the album, other songs deserve recognition as well. The dance track, “Welcome to New York” starts off the album. It depicts New York as a place full of acceptance and new possibilities. “Welcome to New York” features playful lyrics and fast a tempo that set an energetic, enthusiastic tone that carries throughout most of the album. In contrast, Swift slows it down with the song “Clean” to end the album. Here, she uses beautiful metaphor-filled lyrics to describe how difficult it can be to finally get over a failed romance. 1989 is tastefully composed from start to finish, and with its thunderous bass, cheeky lyrics, and memorable melodies, its no wonder it has earned a spot at number one.

2 thoughts on “Taylor Swift’s album ‘Swiftly’ Rises to the Top

• Craig

Maia is spot on. It’s easy to make Swift a target for criticism, but she continues to respond by just making great music. Let the haters hate. Keep up the good work, Olympian staff.

• Anne Anguiano

Great review! Now I want need to download it!