Divergent worth a trip to the movies

Graphic by Alison Dhont
Graphic by Alison Dhont

Thinking about going to the movies this weekend with your friends and family but not knowing what to watch? Simply, choose Divergent. Although Divergent was not as big of a hype compared to Frozen or The Hunger Games, it is definitely a movie both friends and family will enjoy.

Based on the book, this action-packed movie is staged in a futuristic dystopian society where there are five separate factions which serve as divisions of characteristics: selflessness Abnegations, peacefulness Amity, bravery Dauntless, honesty Candor, and intelligence Erudite. At the age of 16, Beatrice “Tris” Prior (Shailene Woodley), receives her faction test result as “inconclusive,” another word for having characteristics of several factions. Her categorization is known as a “Divergent.” In this set-up society, Divergents are a threat to its system and will be killed on the spot. As she embarks on the journey to challenge society, Tris meets Four Eaton (Tobias) acted by Theo James, whom she inevitably grows to like.

After seeing this movie, I couldn’t help but compare Divergent to The Giver and The Hunger Games. I found similarities in the depiction of a futuristic society and agree with the insightful prediction of the corruption of our system and the influence of society. I was convinced that the movie was intriguing and I enjoyed my time in the theatre. All in all, this movie was successful in my eyes, and I recommend that everyone take a trip to the movies to see Divergent.